Thursday, October 31, 2013

Jeans

Prior to May of this year, I hadn't purchased jeans since 2008. It wasn't because I just wore the same jeans from 2008. Once I started gaining weight after I had been at 90 lbs, I stopped wearing jeans. I pretty much stopped wearing pants altogether. First, it wasn't really by choice. It was because I only had size 00 and 0 jeans and they didn't fit me anymore. I could still fit into my less formfitting skirts and dresses, so that's what I wore. Once I stopped gaining, I was so depressed and couldn't even consider the thought of going into a store and trying on jeans at my new high weight. I probably would've been a size 6 or 8 at that time, which I realize isn't obese or anything, but I felt like a whale, especially since months earlier I had been a size 00. So since then, I haven't purchased jeans. I haven't had an occasion where I had to wear jeans. Then, I got hired at my current job. Part of the serving staff's uniform is dark wash jeans, so I had to brave the stores in search of a suitable pair of jeans. This was not an easy task not only because I didn't know my size, but also because I have a proportionally tiny waist in comparison to my muscular thighs and my legs are short for my height, so I just have a hard time finding jeans that fit right. When I got to the store, I started with a 6 because that seemed to be the size that looked most correct when I tried to compare my body size to the size of the jeans by sight. To my surprise, the 6 was huge. It was a pleasant surprise. So then I tried a 4. Still too big. So then I looked at a 2 and thought, "There is no way my big ass is going to fit into those little jeans." But I tried them on anyway and, what do you know? They fit. Crazy. A size 2. Then, I thought maybe the store was just messing with me because they were bootcut jeans and maybe bootcut jeans are cut bigger or something, so I tried on a size 2 in a skinny jean and, BAM, still fit. What? How? I don't understand. When I look at myself and then look at the jeans, I just don't see how I could ever fit my body into those jeans, but then I put them on and they fit, and they're not super tight or anything, they actually fit. Maybe I have that body dysmorphia? It's possible, but I suspect that jeans are just tricky. Anyway, if you're curious about my weight now, I can't help you, but, apparently, I wear a size 2 in jeans.

No comments: